You no longer have to live with the persistent feeling of dry, scratchy, and burning eyes. At Texas State Optical – Stone Oak, we are devoted to your dry eye care. We are able to evaluate the tear film and lacrimal system to diagnose and treat Dry eye Syndrome. We have many options available when it comes to customizing your treatment plan, including:
- Oasis Tears Artificial Tears
- Bruder Eye Mask
- Lid Scrubs – Bacterial and Demodex
- HydroEye Vitamins
- Punctal Plugs
- Prescription eye drops
- Meibomian Gland Expression
- Amniotic Membranes
What Causes Dry Eyes?
In dry eye syndrome, the tear glands that moisturize the eye don’t produce enough tears, or the tears have a chemical composition that causes them to evaporate too quickly.
Dry eye syndrome has several causes. It occurs:
- Medications, such as antihistamines, antidepressants, blood pressure medicines, Parkinson’s medications and birth control pills
- Dry, dusty or windy climate with low humidity
- Air conditioning or a dry heating system
- Natural aging process
- Insufficient blinking, such as when you’re staring at a computer screen all day
- Systemic diseases such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, rosacea or Sjogren’s Syndrome (a triad of dry eyes, dry mouth, and rheumatoid arthritis or lupus).
- Long-term contact lens wear
- Hormonal changes/menopause
- Incomplete closure of the eyelids
- Eyelid disease and a deficiency of the tear-producing glands